The ABC’s of Hepatitis. Do You Know the Difference?
Viral hepatitis refers to infections caused by viruses that attack the liver. Severe chronic cases of viral hepatitis can lead to life-threatening liver cirrhosis, liver failure or even liver cancer. Do you know the difference between these varying conditions?
Mode of Transmission / Prevention:
- Hepatitis A: Contaminated food and water. There is a safe HAV vaccine.
- Hepatitis B: Infected blood, sex and needles. From an infected mother to her newborn. There is a safe HBV vaccine.
- Hepatitis C: Infected blood and needles. There is no vaccine.
- Hepatitis D: Must already have Hepatitis B. Infected blood, sex and needles. From an infected mother to her newborn. Get the Hepatitis B vaccine.
- Hepatitis E: Contaminated water. There is no vaccine.
Interested in Learning More?
Are you concerned about your health? Allow Regional Gi’s professional and caring providers to answer your questions. For further information, please contact us.